- Router: Cisco WRVS4400N secured with WPA2
- WAP: Cisco WAP4410N
My router was working well but the signal too weak in distant rooms.
So, I purchased a WAP4410N but I'm unsure about the configuration.
From reading the product docs, I understand these to be the best options:
- Access Point -- Wired connection through built-in Ethernet port. (Not Desired)
- Wireless WDS Repeater
- Wireless Client / Repeater (What is difference from WDS Repeater?)
- Wireless WDS Bridge
Simply extend the network. As a laptop is carried from room to room, the laptop should switch to the strongest signal seamlessly, without the user doing anything manually.
No matter where I am, the laptop should see all other computers. Also, I prefer that the WAP would not require a wired Ethernet connection (that is, I would like the WAP to receive/repeat the router's wireless signal so that no ethernet cable is required).
- Which of those above 4 settings is best for achieving my desired outcome?
- What should the SSID be on the WAP? Same as on the router?
- Should both the router and WAP be on the same channel? (I suspect not, but included docs sound like they should be..?)
- Should both the router and the WAP have the same wireless security setting (WPA2) and passphrase?
Is there anything else I should know?