Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So some friends and I were smashing an old, broken laptop; and we found this odd film like paper inside the LCD screen. When you look through it, it seems to act like a prism, as everything becomes colorful. Also, if you look through it at an angle, the paper seems like it is reflecting the light in front of you up into your eyes. Also, one side you can look through, the other side is mostly reflective.

I know this question is quite vague, but I am completely puzzled as to what this stuff is called or how to describe it.

share|improve this question
Oh great, now everybody will smash their old monitors and notebooks to have a look... ;-)..I wonder if you could make polarized sunglasses out of that stuff. – Moab May 5 '12 at 15:30
Reminds me of the first time I took a lawnmower engine apart in 1973, did not have a socket set, so I used a hammer to have a peek at the magical innards,and yes it was magic to me at the time.... – Moab May 5 '12 at 15:33
@Moab Thats what we did :P We named them LSD Specs. – Pachow Studios May 5 '12 at 17:03
up vote 7 down vote accepted

You're probably looking at the polarizer.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
What explains better how something works than pictures and a video?… – Baarn May 5 '12 at 11:10
I prefer Dinner and a Movie. ;-) – Moab May 5 '12 at 15:29
That looks like it! Now to try out that instructable link and see if it is the same on other monitors. – Pachow Studios May 5 '12 at 17:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .