I recently tried to move .Xauthority away from
~/.Xauthority in a futile attempt to clean up my home directory. Or, rather, I set
$XAUTHORITY to somewhere else, changed
startx -- -auth /somewhere/else, and thought things would be ok.
They weren't, of course. In the process, my old
.Xauthority got removed, and now
vim is broken.
When I try to run vim, I simply get:
BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) Vim: Got X error Vim: finished
And vim immediately exits. I put everything back how I found it (unset
Xauthority and removed the
-auth arg from the call to startx), and still vim dies.
I can, of course, get around this by running
vim -X, and it looks like there is an error somewhere along the line with
X, but I can't imagine what. I'm not even sure how to debug this.
xclip or whatever have no trouble connecting to the X server, so it doesn't look like an Xauthority problem. However, I haven't the slightest idea how to get vim back on it's feet.