Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 160GB hard drive, and it is partitioned as follows: 35.6 GB for C: 113 GB for D:

Respectively, in that order in HD.

I would like to take some space from D: to C: in order to leave them both with the same space. The same intention is to increase the C: drive that Windows 7 is claiming space.

I've tried several software partitioning, including the one that comes natively in Windows 7. They complain that the space must be continuous to be added to a unit.

Can anyone give me a hint for me to do what I want?

share|improve this question
You will need 3rd party partition software to get it done, as always make full backups of your data Before you change partition structure. Install and Make the bootable disc before you modify – Moab May 13 '12 at 13:15
I've tried "Paragaon Partition Manager", but can not resize my partition, it also. – Richard May 13 '12 at 13:18
Operation failed, The restart operation, that has been requested now, cannot be perfomed now because you are under a 64-bit system. Use the system recovery disc boot. – Richard May 13 '12 at 13:27
I'm trying to install a 64bit version to see if it works. – Richard May 13 '12 at 13:53
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Try to defragment both of your partitions to move the files to the beginning of the partition. When that is complete, you will need to use a 3rd party tool to do the trick.

I prefer the Linux GParted software that you can download and make a live CD out of. I have had good luck doing this in the past.

share|improve this answer
That's exactly what I did. I managed to move the partition and everything else. Thanks anyway. – Richard May 16 '12 at 18:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.