Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Dell Precision T5400, with a single graphics output port. In the box came a splitter to split it to two standard monitor cables. I have two monitors with DVI inputs, so I'd rather use those, but I'm unsure what splitter I should be looking for.

Essentially I need to get from this:

Current DVI(?) splitter

to two of these:

Monitor DVI plug

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy?

share|improve this question

That's a DMS-59.

DMS-59 is a 59-pin electrical connector generally used for computer video cards. It provides two DVI or VGA outputs in a single connector. An adapter cable is needed for conversion from DMS-59 (digital) to DVI (digital) or VGA (analog), and different types of adapter cables exist. The connector is four pins high and 15 pins wide, with a single pin missing from the bottom row, in a D-shaped shell, with thumbscrews.

As for adapters, a quick search for "DMS-59 to DVI":

share|improve this answer

I don't think a standard DVI Splitter will work for your application. You need to have the same input and output video format. I would recommend converting the input to the same format that you have on your monitors and then use a splitter.

share|improve this answer

If you plan on using a Splitter the DVI input and output connector types need to be the same. That is DVI-D Single or Dual link for both the inputs and outputs.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .