Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Dell Precision T5400, with a single graphics output port. In the box came a splitter to split it to two standard monitor cables. I have two monitors with DVI inputs, so I'd rather use those, but I'm unsure what splitter I should be looking for.

Essentially I need to get from this:

Current DVI(?) splitter

to two of these:

Monitor DVI plug

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy?

share|improve this question

That's a DMS-59.

DMS-59 is a 59-pin electrical connector generally used for computer video cards. It provides two DVI or VGA outputs in a single connector. An adapter cable is needed for conversion from DMS-59 (digital) to DVI (digital) or VGA (analog), and different types of adapter cables exist. The connector is four pins high and 15 pins wide, with a single pin missing from the bottom row, in a D-shaped shell, with thumbscrews.

As for adapters, a quick search for "DMS-59 to DVI":

share|improve this answer

I don't think a standard DVI Splitter will work for your application. You need to have the same input and output video format. I would recommend converting the input to the same format that you have on your monitors and then use a splitter.

share|improve this answer

If you plan on using a Splitter the DVI input and output connector types need to be the same. That is DVI-D Single or Dual link for both the inputs and outputs.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.