Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any way to get vertical tabs in firefox or chrome? And not just tabs on the side (which looks stupid) but to actually have them rotated -90 degrees on the left ( or 90 degrees on the right)? If there isn't something like this yet, is it possible to create as an extension or something like that?

share|improve this question

Rotated 90 degrees on either side means you would have to read up-down (sideways) instead of left-right. With today's wide-screen monitors, having tabs along the side makes total sense. Screen real estate is available there, you can see 15-30 tabs at a time (depending on your screen size and resolution), and you can scroll through the rest.

No, I've never seen what you're asking for. And just imagining it right now is giving me a headache. :)

share|improve this answer
I just think that having vertical tabs taking up 300px of space on my screen is a waste. – LordZardeck May 21 '12 at 17:47
I'm guessing that 300px is an exaggeration! – iglvzx May 21 '12 at 18:23
So make them smaller. There should be a gripper that lets you resize it, just like frames in some web pages. – Tom May 21 '12 at 18:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.