Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have bought a digital USB microscope:

enter image description here

Which can take images like this:

enter image description here

I would like to measure – as accurately as possible – the width of the white line on screen, as you see in the picture.

Problems I'm having with the software:

  • A ruler for Windows - Only measures in pixels
  • JRuler - Only measures in mm.
  • - Only measures in mm.
  • Photoshop - Divides mm in 5 which is quite good but not enough (not counting the price since it will only be used for measuring every now and then).

Is there a (preferably free) software that can measure with a precision of at least 1/10th of a millimetre?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Mokubai Sep 18 '15 at 7:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product, service, or learning material recommendations are off-topic because they become outdated quickly and attract opinion-based answers. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve. Share your research. Here are a few suggestions on how to properly ask this type of question." – Mokubai
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What do you mean by the "width"? Surely the physical width versus the apparent width is dependent on the magnification you are using and the distance between the object and the imaging ccd? – Paul May 23 '12 at 1:09
If you know the pixels, then you can convert that depending on the magnification by yourself, no? – soandos May 23 '12 at 1:36
@soandos Then "only measure in pixels" would not be listed as a problem – Paul May 23 '12 at 1:42
@Paul, I don't see the difference is all, and was asking him to explain it. – soandos May 23 '12 at 1:43
@Paul I had the misconception, that I could convert from screen pixels to metric directly. – Trufa May 23 '12 at 3:51
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Most Computer displays now regardless of resolution are displayed at 96 dpi or dots per inch. ( THe Retina scan displays are much higher) You can change this ( I recall) in Windows desktop> preferences> advanced to say 100 dpi. for readings in thou" but since you (& I) prefer metric and your microscope has variable zoom, your exact µm per pixel will require calibration using a ruler. So use Irfanview to zoom [+/-] and measure a rectangle with mouse which is displayed in status bar.

Iview.exe also is free from corel or and has many add-ons and supports many including Adobe effects if you have any. Its not hard to use calc.exe Also Irfanview has easy sharpen and adjust color size and save options, as well imports directly from scanners and any TWAIN device, such as scopes, cams.

I might suggest a clear mylar grid that is precise if you maintain temp and RH, for measurements. YOu can buy this or get it printed onto film or by lithographic printers.

Laser interferometry methods can be even more precise than you need.

share|improve this answer

I have the same microscope. The software works on XP but not on Win7. I found the "installation cd" on line for the microscope:!145&cid=1024B4FF999DA333&group=0&parId=1024B4FF999DA333!120&authkey=!AM70GU-4i8spomg&action=locate

It was uploaded by the guy on this site:

All the best.

share|improve this answer
The user was not asking for the driver software for the device but a rather specific type of software to use with it. While nice to have this does not attempt to answer the question that was actually asked. – Mokubai Sep 18 '15 at 7:45

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .