Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do I create a style in Microsoft Word 2010 that is akin to a keyboard key to represent hotkeys or keystrokes?

Ideally it would be something similar to what's used here like this.

share|improve this question

The simplest approach seems to be to define a character style with a border, a fill color, and a suitable font (Segoe UI Semibold looks “keyboard key like” to me). The border should be rather thin, like ¼pt, to avoid line spacing issues (though such issues could be fixed by setting fixed line height for paragraphs).

The main problem seems to be the lack of horizontal padding between the characters and the border. It would be awkward to solve this by adding space character into the content (using “ this ” instead of “this”). But I’m afraid there’s nothing to be done to this with Word styles.

share|improve this answer
is there a way to quickly call this style through a keyboard shortcut? It seems very tedious to have to manually update all key representations in a document with the created style each time. – prrao May 25 '12 at 1:14
@prrao, yes, you can assign a shortcut to the style in the style settings, see instructions at… However, I noticed that when trying to assign Alt K to my style, it failed, apparently because Alt K is assigned to a built-in function (even though Word showed it as unassigned when I was setting it up). So I tried again and Ctrl Q worked OK. Your mileage may vary; built-in Alt K assignments depend on language version. – Jukka K. Korpela May 25 '12 at 6:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.