If you use this method, Windows XP searches all file types for the text that
you specify. This can affect the performance of the search functionality. To
1. Click Start, and then click Search (or point to Search, and then
click For Files or Folders).
2. Click Change preferences, and then click With Indexing Service (for
faster local searches).
3. Click Change Indexing Service Settings (Advanced). Note that you do
not have to turn on the Index service.
4. On the toolbar, click Show/Hide Console Tree.
5. In the left pane, right-click Indexing Service on Local Machine,
and then click Properties.
6. On the Generation tab, click to select the Index files with unknown
extensions check box, and then click OK.
7. Close the Indexing Service console.