Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have two network adapters on the same computer. I want one network adapter to work only with one program (VMWARE) and the other to work for everything else.

Is this possible? If require, I can do some coding, but I have no idea were to start.

share|improve this question
why downvote with no comment? – Nahum Litvin May 29 '12 at 12:00
Because your question is not clear. You can read the documentation on the VM application to learn how to do this. – Ramhound May 29 '12 at 13:39
@Ramhound that is not really related to VMware. the compuer routs all my communications throught one network adapter, and I want to use another and me been ubclear is a reason to leave a comment, and not to downvote. – Nahum Litvin May 29 '12 at 14:09

You will need to go to the install directory of the VMWARE Workstation folder, usually it is in: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\ run the exe file: vmnetcfg.exe

then disable automatic bridging in vmnetcfg.exe and then assign vmnet0 to physical nic#2. then on the host disable all protocols but the vmware-bridge protocol for physical nic #2

share|improve this answer
I am using VMPLayer. not such exe there :( – Nahum Litvin May 29 '12 at 15:53
Maybe you should have included that in the question? – Not Kyle stop stalking me May 29 '12 at 16:41
if you are using vmplayer, you need to edit the .vmx file using notepad or wordpad, check for the ethernet0.connectionType and ethernet1.connectionType, it should be either: "bridged" or "NAT" , try changing ethernet0 and ethernet1 fields to "custom", as ethernet0.connectionType=custom & ethernet1.connectionType="custom" – Miro co May 30 '12 at 4:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.