Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the "box mode" (for a lack of a better word) in Firefox? How can I exit it again?

If I hold down the Ctrl key and left click while the cursor is over some element on a page it becomes boxed:

alt text

Firefox seems to go into some special mode. What is this mode for? How can I go back to normal mode?

Installed add-ons in Firefox:

  • BetterPrivacy 1.29
  • NoScript
  • SQLite Manager 0.4.7
  • (Microsoft .NET Framework Assistent 1.0 is disabled.)


  • Firefox 3.0.6
  • Windows XP 64 bit SP2
  • 8GB RAM
share|improve this question
I have never seen that in Firefox. Does it frequently happen? Did it start with version 3? Maybe you could try installing Firefox 3.5 – alex Sep 18 '09 at 13:11
OK, I found out how to enter the box mode. I have updated the questiion accordingly. – Peter Mortensen Sep 18 '09 at 13:32
seems you got 2 up vote by accident too :) – user8228 Sep 18 '09 at 13:43
up vote 7 down vote accepted

You're selecting everything within the box. It's used for copying and pasting, as well as printing.

You'll find that if you now press Ctrl + C (or use the Copy entry on the Edit menu) and then paste into another application, then everything within the border will be copied.

Similarly if you go to the File -> Print and then click the Selection box, only the part of the page that you've selected will print out. This is a great way of saving paper when you need to print some information from a page that's covered in adverts, etc. that you'd rather not print out.

share|improve this answer
that is totally awesome. – izb Sep 18 '09 at 14:00
cool. i did not know about it. – Lazer Sep 19 '09 at 22:42
That's a great tip for FF users. I didn't even know what that was until now. – Aznfin Apr 5 '10 at 17:19

Do you have any add-ons installed in Firefox? This looks like something that Firebug would do.

share|improve this answer
I have updated the question with the installed add-ons. – Peter Mortensen Sep 18 '09 at 13:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.