Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the "box mode" (for a lack of a better word) in Firefox? How can I exit it again?

If I hold down the Ctrl key and left click while the cursor is over some element on a page it becomes boxed:

alt text

Firefox seems to go into some special mode. What is this mode for? How can I go back to normal mode?

Installed add-ons in Firefox:

  • BetterPrivacy 1.29
  • NoScript
  • SQLite Manager 0.4.7
  • (Microsoft .NET Framework Assistent 1.0 is disabled.)


  • Firefox 3.0.6
  • Windows XP 64 bit SP2
  • 8GB RAM
share|improve this question
I have never seen that in Firefox. Does it frequently happen? Did it start with version 3? Maybe you could try installing Firefox 3.5 – alex Sep 18 '09 at 13:11
OK, I found out how to enter the box mode. I have updated the questiion accordingly. – Peter Mortensen Sep 18 '09 at 13:32
seems you got 2 up vote by accident too :) – user8228 Sep 18 '09 at 13:43
up vote 7 down vote accepted

You're selecting everything within the box. It's used for copying and pasting, as well as printing.

You'll find that if you now press Ctrl + C (or use the Copy entry on the Edit menu) and then paste into another application, then everything within the border will be copied.

Similarly if you go to the File -> Print and then click the Selection box, only the part of the page that you've selected will print out. This is a great way of saving paper when you need to print some information from a page that's covered in adverts, etc. that you'd rather not print out.

share|improve this answer
that is totally awesome. – izb Sep 18 '09 at 14:00
cool. i did not know about it. – Lazer Sep 19 '09 at 22:42
That's a great tip for FF users. I didn't even know what that was until now. – Aznfin Apr 5 '10 at 17:19

Do you have any add-ons installed in Firefox? This looks like something that Firebug would do.

share|improve this answer
I have updated the question with the installed add-ons. – Peter Mortensen Sep 18 '09 at 13:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .