Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to change a hard drive's file allocation unit size without formatting or at least not lose files?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

There are third party partition managers that allow you to change the cluster size without reformatting. One example is the MiniTool Partition Wizard (all non-free versions):


Be aware that all changes to a partition might corrupt the data. Backing up the important files is always a good idea.

share|improve this answer
Acronis Disk Director only changes cluster size for the free space on the volume: – haimg Jun 5 '12 at 17:20
@haimg: Thanks for the heads up. – Dennis Jun 5 '12 at 17:24
And MiniTool Partition Wizard can only change the cluster size without formatting of dynamic disks, not basic disks. – Synetech Jun 5 '12 at 17:45
I don't think GParted GUI can't do it either; I just booted into it and there is no option to select the allocation unit size (or cluster size) when changing the partition. I read elsewhere that it uses 4096. – David Murdoch Apr 7 '15 at 19:50
@DavidMurdoch: I based my answer on an eHow article, but GParted doesn't even let you choose the cluster size when creating a partition. – Dennis Apr 7 '15 at 22:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .