Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it possible to change a hard drive's file allocation unit size without formatting or at least not lose files?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

There are several third party partition managers that allow you to change the cluster size without reformatting.



GParted is free software. You can download a LiveCD from here.

Be aware that all changes to a partition might corrupt the data. Backing up the important files is always a good idea.

share|improve this answer
Acronis Disk Director only changes cluster size for the free space on the volume: kb.acronis.com/content/14636. –  haimg Jun 5 '12 at 17:20
@haimg: Thanks for the heads up. –  Dennis Jun 5 '12 at 17:24
And MiniTool Partition Wizard can only change the cluster size without formatting of dynamic disks, not basic disks. –  Synetech Jun 5 '12 at 17:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.