Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I cancelled gparted operation by mistake .Now one of the partition became corrupted ,what to next? Should I format it? Data is important to me ;(

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Testdisk might be able to help you. The key word here is might.

TestDisk can

  • Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
  • Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
  • Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
  • Fix FAT tables
  • Rebuild NTFS boot sector
  • Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
  • Fix MFT using MFT mirror
  • Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
  • Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
  • Copy files from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

Find a LiveCD that contains TestDisk on their LiveCD page

share|improve this answer
Should I format that disk before proceed? Currently it shows unknown partition – Tachyons Jun 7 '12 at 15:30
I have not used TestDisk before but I would not carry on a format as it may make it harder to recover any data. If you are wanting to restore the drive to its prior state to try and recover data then I would try Testdisk from a LiveCD without formatting first. In theory TestDisk might be able to restore the partition(s). – Mokubai Jun 7 '12 at 15:33
do not format the disk!! boot your system with a livecd of sorts and run testdisk from there. Make sure the HD you want to recover is unmounted. – Bruno9779 Jun 7 '12 at 16:42
Thanks ,but test diskhelped me recover the partition ,but another partition disappeared – Tachyons Jun 7 '12 at 19:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.