Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I partitioned my hard drive into three partitions of various sizes. Then I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and went through the standard series software installations and updates. I used the Windows 7 disk imaging utility once I had everything the way I want it. Then I realized I had installed Windows it on the wrong partition!!! The partition I installed it on was too small and I have run out of space.

Can I somehow use the imaging utility to avoid spending all that time installing/updating and yet end up with a bigger partition?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

First you can shrink the volume from which you want to exclude the space then download Easeus Partition magic home edition which is free and then try the merge option available there. You can also use the resize/move partition option to resize the partition. See how to merge a partition using easeus.

share|improve this answer
I'm assuming this won't work for me, for the same reason as the Windows Disk Management solution proposed by WikiWitz. – Stainsor Jun 10 '12 at 2:03
I have used it and its perfect to do that. You have not to assume just give a try to it. – avirk Jun 10 '12 at 3:35
Hmm. I will give this a try. – Stainsor Jun 11 '12 at 1:02
WOOHOO!!! It worked!!! I changed my partition size from 25 GB to 75 GB and moved it to the front of the HDD. (I didn't have any data on the drive other than on the 25 GB partition.) – Stainsor Jun 12 '12 at 2:59
Glad thaat it helped out. – avirk Jun 12 '12 at 3:04

Hit the Windows Key then right-click on Computer and click Manage. Go to Storage > Disk Management > Right-click the desired partition > Select Extend Volume...

enter image description here

You may need to shrink the other partitions to free disk space for extending.

share|improve this answer
Using Windows disk management you can only extend a volume to a unallocated volume to the right of it, he will need 3rd party partitioning software to allocate freespace from another existing partition. – Moab Jun 9 '12 at 16:09
This would have been perfect, but the partition I want to extend is all the way to the right. :( – Stainsor Jun 10 '12 at 2:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.