When tab groups for Firefox came out they perfectly suited my workflow, and I often have 5 or 10 groups of tabs for various projects, or sections of projects. Previously I used a session manager but I found tab groups a lot quicker and easier to use.
The problem however is that for various different reasons I've lost my tab groups; so I need some way of making them more persistent.
Ideally I would like to have something along the lines of the way 'Lastpass' or 'Xmarks' syncs the passwords/bookmarks by storing them online, but I doubt such a system exists so I would settle either for any robust and easy to use way to backup and restore either my tab groups or sessions.
I should mention that while I use Firefox, I could easily be convinced to move to Chrome as the tab groups are the only real reason I need to be in FF ( I tried Tab Sugar for Chrome a few months back and didn't like it as much as the FF native support )
Here's my ideal scenario in case it helps
- Easily add a tab to a group or move it to a different group ( this is a right click and a click in FF )
- When I add a tab to a group it would be either backed up in realtime ( like the way Dropbox works) or on a fairly regular basis so that if I lost all the tab and/or tab groups from the browser they would be recoverable
- Storage of more than one backup at a time so that I could go back easily to the backup before the issue.
- Quick and easy restoration
- Switch groups / sessions quickly and easily
- I'd really like to have a visual display like the tab groups and one where I could drag the tabs between groups
sessionstore.bak Just to say w.r.t this that I have found it awkward to get the tabs and groups back from sessionstore.bak; and also sessionstore.bak only stores a single backup which is not much good unless you notice the problem before you restart the browser, which is often not the case. So for this reason I would need something better than simply renaming sessionstore.bak, however maybe there's an extension which helps in this regard.