Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

On my personal website, I have some technical ideas and some source code snippets that I share with everybody. To make it clean that everyone can use those snippets as they like, as long as I do not have to provide any warranty, I would like to add a license to the some of the texts.

The bigger programs come with GPLv2+, which I think is a reasonable license for free code.

Does it make sense to use the MIT License or the GNU Free Documentation License for these texts or should I just go with CC-BY?

I am a German citizen, so I heard that the American licenses do not really apply to me at all. If so, that would be another advantage for the Creative Commons Family of License.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Oliver Salzburg, avirk, Dennis, Mokubai, Nifle Jun 19 '12 at 21:22

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

If you're German, you're already protected by Urheberrecht, keep that in mind. I would recommend reading this article: codinghorror.com/blog/2007/04/pick-a-license-any-license.html –  Oliver Salzburg Jun 19 '12 at 14:48
Okay, I read the article, but I only know more that I need to pick a license at all. I get the feeling that CC-BY is about as permissive as I want it to be. Not sure whether that includes that its not my fault-disclaimer though. –  queueoverflow Jun 19 '12 at 15:26
You could have taken that lesson away from the caption of the article. ;) I also took this away from it: wiki.creativecommons.org/… –  Oliver Salzburg Jun 19 '12 at 15:38
Not sure whether that includes that its not my fault-disclaimer though. - It does, in the full legal text. See section five: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode Personally, I'd go with CC-BY. –  André Paramés Jun 19 '12 at 15:39
For any kind of legal advice – especially when it concerns liability – you should always consult a lawyer. –  Dennis Jun 19 '12 at 16:37

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.