I brought my laptop to school this morning. Just as our teacher went inside the classroom, I swiftly shoved it in the laptop bag. Unfortunately, I forgot to shut it down properly and it wasn't even in sleep mode. So it was running idle inside the bag. An hour later I noticed the bag was hot so I checked the laptop and found it automatically shut down due to overheating. It was really hot and there was the smell of burning metal and plastic.
I am afraid that some chips got burned in the process. However, I wouldn't risk opening the laptop as I might not be able to re-assemble it.
How can I detect any hardware problems with software? And is there a risk of data loss due to an overheated storage device?