Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was digging through some cables and came across this weird looking one. Not sure what it is for and what kind of plug it even uses. Searched online but couldn't find anything that pointed me in the right direction.

enter image description here

enter image description here

share|improve this question
That's a European power cord. – Daniel R Hicks Jun 27 '12 at 15:51
up vote 10 down vote accepted

This kind of plug is called Schuko and it's a de facto standard in many European countries.

CEE 7/4 Schuko plug and Schuko socket

From Schuko - Wikipedia:

"Schuko" ( /ˈʃuːkoʊ/) is the colloquial name for a system of AC power plugs and sockets that is defined as "CEE 7/4". A Schuko plug features two round pins of 4.8 mm diameter (19 mm long, centers 19 mm apart) for the live and neutral contacts, plus two flat contact areas on the top and bottom side of the plug for protective earth (ground). Schuko sockets form a cavity into which the plug is inserted. Schuko plugs and sockets are symmetric AC connectors. They can be mated in two ways, therefore live and neutral can arrive on either pin at the consuming device. As with most types of European sockets, Schuko sockets can accept europlugs. Schuko plugs are considered a very safe design when used with Schuko sockets but they can also mate with other sockets to give an unsafe result.

"Schuko" is a short form of the German term Schutzkontakt (literally: protective contact), which simply indicates that plug and socket are equipped with protective-earth contacts (in the form of clips rather than pins). Schuko connectors are normally used on circuits with 230 V, 50 Hz, for currents up to 16 A.

share|improve this answer
It should be noted that there are, worldwide, several other sorta-the-same-looking connectors, mostly derived from the same basic standard, but some totally different. In particular, the plug in the original post is apparently a CEE 7/7 plug, designed to mate with both the German and French style of grounded outlets. This Wikipedia article covers a number of the different styles, with images of most of them. – Daniel R Hicks Jun 27 '12 at 21:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .