Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a task switcher – a replacement for Alt + Tab on Windows XP or 7 – that enables switching to a window by typing part of its name?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Karan, 8088, Dennis, Dave M, terdon Feb 12 '13 at 3:12

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

In windows 7 you can pin application (you need to pin them to keep the numbers consistent) to the task bar and launch them with win+(1-9) which also works for switching.

share|improve this answer

On Windows version that support Aero, Switcher does what you're looking for.

In order to enable searching by name, change the following settings:


  • Enable Begin searching by typing.1


  • Click Change.2

  • Select the desired keyboard shortcut.3

  • Set Activate when shortcut is to Released.3

  • Disable End session when shortcut is released.3

Now you can switch to Google Chrome, for example, with the following shortcut sequence:

Alt + Tab, C, H, Enter

The end results depend on further settings. With Dock view, you get something like this:




change shortcuts

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .