Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Recently my laptop battery will get extremely hot (definitely hotter than it should get) when I charge it. After that I usually end up removing it once it's fully charged to let it cool down, which takes a couple hours...

Question is, is my battery dead? My last battery I had that died just ended up lasting 2 - 3 minutes on battery, no weird heat issues.

And is there any way to possibly fix this? Probably not but I won't be able to get a replacement anytime soon.

A few days ago when this happened and it cooled down, assuming it was fully charged, I ran my laptop on battery, and the battery life lasted about 10 minutes and then the laptop shutdown. I then plugged it in later and charged it back up, and for a while I had a orange light blinking on my laptop - which I assumed meant the battery was dead, especially since I got 10 minutes battery life.

Then today, I turned my laptop on and was surprised to see that the battery was at 20% and charging (it's been plugged in since the incident above, so it should have been fully charged when I shut it off)
I let it charge up, and as usual it got pretty hot around the time it was fully charged. So I turned my laptop off and pulled the battery out to let it cool down

Now the thing is, just now I tried running it on battery, and it's been going for an hour now... so maybe its not dead? (also the orange light is no longer blinking...)

Thanks in advance if anyone knows whats going on, and how to fix it, if its fixable =]

Some info if it helps... my laptop is about 2 years ago, and it's an Asus K50ID. I know laptop batteries usually don't last more than a year but I'm trying to keep this one going for as long as I can.

share|improve this question
> Recently my laptop battery will get extremely hot Zebra: is my battery dead? Horse: recently it’s summer. –  Synetech Jul 1 '12 at 23:43
@Synetech by hot I mean too hot to touch, and definitely hotter then it ever has been. –  Josh Jul 2 '12 at 2:54
My cordless mouse charges the batteries when I put it in its cradle. The contacts get too hot to touch (much hotter than when I first bought it), but it still works. Sometimes when I put NiMH AA or AAA batteries in their charger, they get super hot, sometimes not. I honestly think that ambient temperature plays a big role when it comes to electronic temperature. How long in total did it take to fully charge? If it took much longer than before, it may indicate that the battery’s capacity is slowly diminishing (they have a limited number of recharge cycles; remember the first batch of iPods?) –  Synetech Jul 2 '12 at 3:14
Well if it worked, I wouldn't mind it getting hot. But with the orange light blinking constantly, and getting about 10 minutes of battery life, then it suddenly starting to act normal again, I think somethings up. And it takes about as long as it used to, to charge up fully. –  Josh Jul 2 '12 at 3:31
Hmm, maybe it’s a bad connection. My wireless mouse behaves all sorts of erratically depending on where the contact problem is (e.g., between the cradle and the mouse, the batteries and the mouse, etc.) I find that after eight years, I have to scrape all six contacts pretty much every day to get it to charge correctly. –  Synetech Jul 2 '12 at 17:59

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

If you want to check the capacity remaining in your battery download osiris battery bar from http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/. Nice malware-free little app that provides a far better battery meter than windows' built in one, it also has a metric for battery wear which should help you in this situation.

share|improve this answer

It sounds like it's getting overcharged. Does it get to a point where the computer says it's fully charged? It may be that the circuit in the batter that tells the computer when it's charged has gone bad. Does the computer show the battery as being fully charged when it's finished?

Do you ever let it get to the point where the computer has to shut down due to low battery? This is a good thing to do with Lithium batteries occasionally, as it lets the computer learn to judge how much time is left on the charge. I don't know if it would help your situation, though.

share|improve this answer
I've read many places that you shouldn't discharge a Lithium Ion battery to the point where the laptop shuts off because they do not suffer from the memory effects Nickel Dime batteries had, and discharging them that much ends up ruining them. –  Josh Jul 2 '12 at 2:50
@Josh, laptop batteries (at least modern ones) are not actually drained when the laptop is forced to shut down. Instead, the battery circuitry, laptop hardware, and operating systems are designed to shut down once they reach a minimum threshold, specifically to prevent the problem you mentioned. –  Synetech Jul 2 '12 at 3:09
@Synetech, yes, that's what I've read, too. They shouldn't be drained completely, but the PC doesn't allow that to happen. For more information, this article says you should recalibrate periodically, as I suggested. Battery University has lots of information about LiON batteries, if anyones really interested. –  Marty Fried Jul 2 '12 at 3:56
@MartyFried, the Notebook Review article is from 2005 and batteries were fairly different back then. You don’t need to calibrate modern batteries (nor do they have fuel gauges anymore). The Battery University article is from a couple of years ago and looks like a good read (for tomorrow). –  Synetech Jul 2 '12 at 4:01
Sorry about the Notebook Review article - I actually came across it while looking for the Battery University article, which I read a while back, and it looked like it addressed the issue I had read about, which was not to calibrate the battery, but actually to calibrate the computer to the battery characteristics. –  Marty Fried Jul 2 '12 at 4:16

If it is really getting extremely hot, your laptop battery is most probably damaged and needs to be replaced. It is possible that one or more lithium cells inside the battery are damaged. It is very dangerous for your laptop if the battery explodes.

See: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dell-battery-fire.htm

NiMH batteries are completely different to Li-ion. Please don't confuse the two. Li-ion batteries do not need to be fully discharged as they have no memory effects and usually fully discharging such a battery will actually damage it. The internal circuit in the battery will usually prevent you from discharging the battery completely anyway and also overcharging it.

Your computer uses readings from the battery circuit to approximately tell you how much capacity/time is left. If the battery is damaged however, the readings can no longer be relied upon and may no longer reflect the true capacity of your battery.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.