Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have my work system on the ip range 172.16.xx.yy, and I have my personal system on the ip range Both of them, however, are on the same network of my University, but on different LANs/VLANs (i hope i used the right word here).

How can I remotely connect to my work system from my PC, given that both use private IP addresses?

If such a thing is not possible with current set up, what minimal changes are required for it?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You need to define a static route to 172.16.xx.yy on the router of the subnet. This router should be connected to 172.16.xx.yy subnet and you define its IP on 172.16.xx.yy as the gateway.

share|improve this answer
is your solution feasible in a situation where my personal system is configured for dynamic IP? – pnp Jul 6 '12 at 4:25
Yes if the main subnet 176.16.xx.yy is not changed (and I don't believe it changes). Even if you personal subnet changes, it should work as the route only needs the main subnet IP. (obs: the reverse route (from the main network to your machine) couldn't be as easily configured with your IP dynamic but this is not what you want anyway). – laurent Jul 6 '12 at 16:03

If you do not have access to the routers then you will need to use an application like Teamviewer. You would need the full version on the personal computer and the unattended host application on your work computer. It is free for personal usage.

share|improve this answer
If you want to go from France to Germany, would you go through China? + Let's all give free data statistics to the TeamViewer team. – user127350 Jul 4 '12 at 13:07
This is not a home network. This is at a university, do you think he has access and control of the routers/firewall? Maybe the network admin is his best friend... otherwise what choice does he have? – Logman Jul 4 '12 at 13:19
You got a point there. :) But he said his 'work system,' so if he works at the university, then it might have the right for suck a routing entry. On the other hand, if he's a student, why would he want remote desktop access to his "work" system, other than being helped remotely? >:) – user127350 Jul 4 '12 at 14:53
@Radoo & Logman- eh...the network admin's assistant does happen to be my friend. But he says that the only way he knows how to do this is to create a separate VLAN for these two systems of mine. I am looking for a solution involving lesser hassles with the authorities. And of course, Teamviewer is a good application but it won't let me utilize the high speed LAN available to me. – pnp Jul 4 '12 at 15:43
same ip range now... didnt see the change until after this post – Logman Jul 4 '12 at 15:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .