Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use mac OSX with a full sized keyboard (F1-F19, number pad arrow keys and FN, Home, End, Page UP/Down delete mini pad above the arrow keys). My mouse is on the left side of the keyboard. This allows use of the return key, the arrow keys and the number pad etc. with my right hand. I would like to assign a key or key combination on the right side of the keyboard to operate the same as the tab key. I am thinking a Function key or the Home key, or FN+?? I have QuickKeys and could use that if someone knows how.

If there is no way to make a key the equivalent of the tab key, then at the least I would like to make some equivalent to Cmd+Tab that I can use with my right hand.

Thanks for any help and ideas.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

For me the answer on this is a program called Witch from That program gives me a much superior app switcher to the native mac app switcher and lets me assign the trigger key. Just what I needed!

share|improve this answer

I was able to assign another key to tab with Ukelele, but it didn't work with command-tab.

You could use QuicKeys to assign a shortcut for a macro that emulates pressing tab or command-tab, but there's probably no way to have it work with different modifier key combinations or when holding the key.

KeyRemap4MacBook is probably the only way to change it consistently.

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot for the pointer. It has taken me to some places I needed to know about, though they were not the answer to this question for me. – StoneBreaker Jul 7 '12 at 1:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .