On my gaming desktop, I was fixing my desktop's power supply when something seemed to burn (I got that stinging burning smell). However when I turned ON the computer (it was OFF before), everything seemed to be fine.
However, I have noticed that now it becomes too slow if I play a game or movie on it. I am talking about the computer becoming painfully slow after about 5 minutes into the movie/game (it works fine otherwise e.g. browsing), it becomes so slow I can see individual frames from movies/games.
What could be the problem? A fried video card? friend memory (RAM), something else?
My system's configuration is:
- Intel Core i7 CPU 3.40GHz
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 2TB WDC HDD
- NVIDIA GeForece GT 220 (1GB)
- Thermal Take Commander MS1 Chassis ( http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1394&ID=2051 )
- mainboard: Intel DH67CL AAG10212-208
- Realtek High Definition Audio
HOW I FIXED IT: Credit to the excellent answer below (the one that's accepted), my problem was a faulty fan for the video card, video card was over-heating and hence the slowness. My video card wasn't very good anyway, so I replaced it with a better one and the problem was resolved.