Since Microsoft announced the end of life for WHS, are there any alternatives?
Specifically, I am interested in recovering from a catastrophic disk failure with WHS.
For example, this is my ideal scenario when a desktop hard-drive fails (has a bad virus, etc):
- Install a disk of the same size or greater
- Boot the desktop with the Recovery Disc
- Point the recovery application at the WHS
- Pick the machine, the drive(s) and the date of the backup
- Have a couple beers
- Reboot to a working machine as if nothing happened.
I would need to slap multiple disks in the machine without raid. It sounds like LVM will work here.
It would be nice, but not required to have de-duplication of files when multiple machines are backed up. (Single Instance Storage)