Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to be able to to quickly go to the top of the window and type the location to which I want to navigate. Is there a shortcut key for this? If not can it be created?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

As in Internet Explorer, and most other web browsers, the shortcut you're looking for is ALT+D.

share|improve this answer

There are a few ways to set the keyboard focus to the address bar in Windows Explorer:

  • Alt+D to focus the address bar
  • F4 to focus the address bar and drop it down as well
  • F6 to “Tab” between Explorer panes (usually between the file list and the address bar)

Windows keyboards shortcuts: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

share|improve this answer

Alt+D works for Windows Explorer and all (read all common) browsers to go to address bar.

share|improve this answer

Most browsers I've used accept CTRL+l(lower-case-L) for jumping to the "location" bar. I don't know if that works in this case or not, but worth a try.

share|improve this answer
No, that (somewhat surprisingly) doesn’t work for Windows Explorer. – Synetech Jul 8 '12 at 2:46
@Synetech I wonder if that's something Microsoft broke on purpose... – killermist Jul 8 '12 at 3:12
No, there’s nothing broken about it, they just chose not to include that hotkey in Windows Explorer when Alt+D does the same thing. Even in web browsers it is redundant. – Synetech Jul 8 '12 at 3:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .