For those that are unaware, KSOD means blacK Screen of Death. Essentially, when windows starts my computer shows only the cursor and a black screen. It seems like any and all shell elements are disabled (or perhaps not started). I have seen a number of these questions asked, none of which have matched my situation.
- CTRL + ALT + ... does not respond
- Restarting in safe mode, results in the same KSOD
- sfc /scannow seems to have no effect when typed at the command prompt that is accessed using the recovery tools via the install disk
- There are no restore points (System Restore is turned off)
- "Last Known Good configuration" was/is not available in the startup recovery list
- Left the computer on in KSOD state for approx 7 hours (went to sleep). Did not self-resolve.
Update to item 3:
sfc /scannow reports: There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.
However, Windows does not restart past KSOD.
Update to item 3 as per Soandos comment re: /offbootdir
sfc /scannow /offbotdir=e:\ /windir=e:\windows
"Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log..."
In reviewing the CBS.log, there's a) too much information and far too many "failures" that could be false positives as to the root of my problem.
Help and comments are most appreciated