Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose I purchase a brand-new, top of the line, 17" MacBook Pro:

enter image description here

What do I need to do in order to connect it to a 30" monitor?

I already own 2 30" monitors (a Dell 3007WFP and a Dell 3008WFP), so ideally I would hook the MBP up to one of those. However, if it came down to it, I might be willing to buy a new monitor.

Two thoughts:

  1. Will this adapter work? (For the 3008WFP)
  2. Will Apples's Mini DisplayPort -> Dual-Link DVI adapter work?

Note: I'm not interested in any solution that requires me to use the 30" monitor at less than its maximum resolution (2560 by 1600 pixels).

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I just purchased a Dell U3011 monitor. Amongst its inputs, it has dual-DVI and displayport inputs. I heard bad things about Apple's Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter so instead went with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from Monoprice. Much cheaper and it works perfectly, happily driving 2560 x 1600 from my 15" MacBook Pro (2011 edition). The cable should work fine on any monitor that supports DisplayPort.

share|improve this answer

Yes all of the new MacBook Pros with a mini-diplayport connector support 2550x1600.

Just look on Apple's website: (Specifically the 'Graphics and video support' section)

To answer the second part: They should both work if used with the proper monitor.

share|improve this answer
But what 30" monitor has a Mini DisplayPort input? – Horace Loeb Sep 22 '09 at 0:07
the 3008 seems to have a full-size DisplayPort port the 3007 seems to have a Dual-Link DVI port – GameFreak Sep 22 '09 at 2:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.