Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have some small form factor PCs that use power supplies with odd shapes. Since I manage these PCs in bulk (I'm up to about 60 of them), I want to know how to find replacement parts in the inevitable case of a power supply failure. Right now these are fairly new to us, and so I haven't had any failures yet, but I want to be prepared when I do.

There are actually two varieties I am concerned about here, but I also want to know about how to identify these power supplies and valid replacement parts in the more general case.

The two power supplies are as follows:

  1. HP 437352-001. It's like a section was removed from a normal supply, but a standard size fan still sits at the back. The power supply here sits over the hard drive, so that fan can cool both parts.
  2. The other is a low-power (150W) power supply for a FoxConn-branded machines we have (example of the computer -- couldn't find a good image of the supply itself). It long and skinny, rather than cubish like a typical power supply, and almost looks like a server power supply.

So the question is, how can I find out more about these atypical power supplies? What name (read: google keyword) should I use when talking about them? Where or what kinds of places can I look for replacements?

share|improve this question

Doing a little research for you, it looks like the HP 437352-001 power supplies is of form factor SFX. I am sure that if you search for that type you can find a supplier.

The tech specs for the R30-A1 on FoxConns wesite list the power supply as DSL150P. It is of type TFX12V. It can be purchased on any site that sells that type. I know newegg sells them.

share|improve this answer
The item at the SFX link did not match what I'm seeing in my machines, but the TFX type was very helpful. – Joel Coehoorn Jul 18 '12 at 3:38
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking when I said it was an SFX power supply. Likely it is just a custom design. – Linger Jul 18 '12 at 12:50

As long as you have some sort of identifiable part number, eBay is your friend.

share|improve this answer
I'm skeptical of getting new replacements this way. I have checked ebay, and mostly what I see are one-offs that likely came from a machine that was used a good deal before something happened to a hard drive or motherboard and the rest was gutted for parts/ebay fodder. Who knows how much life the power supply has left? It's also not fun making purchases from ebay via company purchase order. I'll use ebay if I have to, but it's never going to be my first choice here. – Joel Coehoorn Jul 17 '12 at 20:37
Can the ebay search give you any useful information to then take to your google search? – JoshP Jul 17 '12 at 20:39
I have tried checking the HP parts store and this is one of those part they consider "non-customer replaceable" so you can't really buy it from them either. I would suggest finding something else that is compatible, but it looks like the p/s has its own unique shape so your options are really limited. – superuser Jul 17 '12 at 20:44

Your best bet is probably this outfit, although they don't seem to have that particular model...yet.

Oh wait. I see they actually recommend this: (assuming you have HP DC7900 SFF or similar)

This one is the same shape, but some things are rearranged inside. There is a mechanical drawing on the page, with dimensions.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.