Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a USB mic and would like to record from in a padded closet roughly 30 feet away from the computer.

I read that buying a 30ft cable will not work, but is there anyway around this?

According to Wikipedia: USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at Hi Speed (480 Mbit/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs.

So how do these USB cable extenders work then? Will one of these extenders work with my USB mic?


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think that a usb extension should work.

USB Extender/Repeater:

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer
Make sure whatever you buy says "active repeater" or similar. – LawrenceC Jul 20 '12 at 18:17

I do not think a mic really needs full 480 Mbit/s transfer rates, however the delay is a factor. Considering a powered USB extension cable only costs $8.50 plus shipping I would just say go ahead and try it and report back.

Make sure whatever you get is called either Active or Powered, it basically acts as a 1 port USB hub.

share|improve this answer
If the delay turn out to be a problem you can use a 'USB mic with build in sound card' (e.g. a blue yeti, though I am reluctant to mention what seems like shopping advice. It is just the Mic I looked at a while ago) – Hennes Jul 20 '12 at 18:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.