- Windows PC connects to wifi (Netgear DGN2000) on router's default Channel 11 fine.
- iMac makes a connection over wifi on Channel 11 and gets IP address, subnet, router address but can't ping router or open admin page on it.
- iPhone 4S completely fails to connect to same router on Channel 11. Just hangs.
- iMac works fine when plugged in to Ethernet socket on router but we don't want wires trailing across the house.
- iMac and iPhone both connect to a different router (DG834) on Channel 11 fine. Sadly in a different town.
- when I switch the DGN2000 over to Channel 5 ... PC, iMac and iPhone all connect fine and can see the outside world as normal. (I chose Channel 5 at random. Using InSSIDer I see that most channels are empty.)
- I am not in a busy area - there is just one other wifi available here (it's a quiet street) and I can connect to that fine from any machine.
Any ideas why? Is one other wifi network enough to clash on a wifi channel?
Also, is there any rule to guide choice of alternative channel?
I've searched for similar questions and believe I'm not asking a dupe.
iMac OS X Lion. iPhone iOS 5.1. PC Windows 7.