Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My computer monitor's power brick (12v and 4.16A) went bad. Can I use a power brick that has output 16v and 3.75A? The input values are the same.

share|improve this question

Higher current (A) is okay because the device won’t use as much, but higher voltage (V) is going to “fry” it.

Conversely, lower voltage is unlikely to cause damage since the device simply won’t have enough power, but lower current can cause trouble because the power supply cannot provide enough.

In your case, the “replacement” power-adapter is both higher voltage and lower current. In other words, it won’t work and at best will do nothing, but in all likelihood (especially if the monitor is not a super, high-end brand) will likely damage your monitor.

Look around for another one (with a compatible connector) that is equal to 12V and at least 4.16A).

share|improve this answer

I doubt that it would work, and it would be very risky. The best thing that could happen is that nothing will happen and the monitor will just stay off. However, because the voltage is higher, it actually could damage the monitor. I wouldn't try it.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .