I have a MSI P965 Platinum motherboard and my graphics card (Radeon X1650) died yesterday.
I'm planning on buying an XFX HD5450 which seems to be the cheapest graphics card I can buy around here, since I don't need any graphics power, I just need something that lets me boot the pc.
I'm not really sure whether these two are compatible. The motherboard specification says that the PCI Express x16 slot is 'v1.0a compliant'. The video card specification only mentions 'PCI Express® 2.1 support' as a feature (?) but doesn't mention anything about the requirements.
These are the motherboard specs:
• One PCI Express x16 slot. (supports PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant)
• One PCI Express x4 slot. (The yellow one, support PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant)
• The two slots above support ATI® CrossFire technology.
• Two PCI Express x1 slots. (support PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant)
• Two 32-bit v2.3 master PCI bus slots. (supports 3.3v/5v PCI bus interface)