Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I go to a school that only has wireless internet. My desktop doesn't have a wireless card. I do have a wireless router (netgear wgt624 v3). I was wondering if I could use the router to receive the wifi and distribute it though ethernet somehow. Is this posisble?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Sorry, no. The Wifi specification makes bridging through a client connection an illegal configuration and the factory firmware slavishly adheres to the specification. You'd need to run aftermarket firmware to get around that restriction using a "client bridge" or "WAN on Wifi" mode. I don't believe the version 3 hardware is supported by any aftermarket firmware.

If you can find aftermarket firmware (Tomato, OpenWRT, DD-WRT, and so on) that works on your hardware, you should be able to make it work. Just use a client bridge or WAN on Wifi mode.

Most likely, the best solution is just to get a cheap USB Wifi adapter. You can also use a Wifi station adapter that adapts Wifi to Ethernet -- however that's best for things like gaming systems or embedded systems, it's an inferior solution for a PC.

share|improve this answer

There are wireless adapters that can plug into your desktop. Most suppliers of network adapters, such as Netgear and D-Link, have these. Here are some examples:

This one plugs directly into a PCI slot:

And this one plugs into a USB port:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.