Found many similar questions but not exact. First of all, I tried to setup VPC once and it was kind of slow. It was about 3-4 years ago and hardware wasn't best so I'm not sure where we at...
Here is where I'm coming from:
- I'm developer and use my machine for development
- I develop with Microsoft technologies Enviroment consist of IIS, SQL Server, Visual Studio, etc, etc.
- I also develop for Android so I have JAVA, Android SDK, slow-starting emulators, etc.
- I need to be mobile (laptop)
- I need to be able to restore my system ASAP
I keep all files on server, source code check ins, etc. However, just to restore my environment I need couple days.
I was thinking RAID 1. I have 24hr on site service warranty. Well, I'm stuck for 3 days with my laptop - they overnighted part but it is not helping. It's a PAIN
Currently I have Lenovo W510 with i7-820 CPU, 10G RAM, SSD and this system does OK for development.
My questions are..
- Can I have same level of performance on stronger desktop hardware running virtual?
- If I can, then will it work if I will have basic setup desktop and basic setup laptop and work only in virtual? This way I can take backups of my image.
- If I need to go somewhere I can copy image to laptop and go? In case of hardware failure I can always run it somewhere else. I can always have backup of whole system.
- Is this possible today?
I have bunch of licensed software. Should I double-check with vendors to make sure it will work?
If I do lot's of TCP testing - is that doable? Web server, USB debugging of Android devices, etc.