The StackExchange chat engine seems to be rather nice. Are there desktop chat clients that implements similar chat?
- Linux and Windows support;
- Offline message delivery;
- Showing notifications in tray (so web-based solutions probably won't work);
- Multi-user chat;
- Some privacy (to discuss work questions) - somewhere around the Skype's level.
- Editing messages, revision history;
- Putting short links;
- Formatting, code blocks;
- File transfer with NAT traversal;
- Inserting pictures (with automatic thumbnailing);
- Being XMPP-based (so can use simple text-mode clients in basic mode).
Just using chat.stackexchange.com probably fails "Some privacy" and "Showing notifications".