I just rebuilt my system after a new Power supply fired my CPU, MBD, Video card & a Blu-Ray drive.
During all this I had to restore Windows from a backup (sector copy).
All seems well, but today I went into Sample Pictures (by accident) and was clicking out of it when my eye caught something weird - Several files had identical names!
Here's what I have so far:
- Chkdsk shows no errors, drive is fine. Obviously rebooted. I always have Windows showing extensions, and Hidden files (doesn't apply here, none are hidden).
- The files are: (all are .jpg) Chrysanthemum, Desert , Hydrangeas, Jellyfish , Koala , Lighthouse , Penguins , and Tulip. Rest of them show single names, so not all dups. Stranger & Stranger.
- If I single click, twice, on the names (like you would to rename) one will highlight the first part, but if I do that to the second copy it highlights the whole name including EXTENSION! Ex:Tulip.jpg on 1st, Tulip.jpg on second. Second one's the "dup". Win7 normally only highlights the first part, not the extension.
- The names are identical. Not almost, no hidden characters, identical.
- If I "Open a Command Prompt here" and do a DIR, the names show properly! So the 8.3 names are right, but Windows is showing them wrong.
- They will re-sort properly if I change the view, with two Tulips next to each other.
- Opening Properties shows the same name for both, but, if you look at Details it shows the proper info - Camera, taken date, etc.
- If I open them, like in Irfan Viewer, they show fine with the proper name. I thought - "must be pulling the 8.3 name" but the names are long, like Chrysanthemum.
- If I switch to Large Icons, the thumbnails show different pictures with the same name under it! Ex: Tulip (#2) is really Waterfall, but shows the name Tulip.
So my question is:
How is it possible to have identical files, with the exact same name, in the same directory? And what could have caused that?