Under normal circumstances, the Dell E2310Hc LCD Monitor seems to work fine. However, when I display an large array of hash characters ("#") a faint buzz can be heard from the monitor. It appears to be correlated to the periodic pattern somehow:
- Increasing the size of the pattern (i.e. changing the font size) changes the frequency of the noise.
- Adding more pattern enhances the sound.
- Increasing the contrast increases the intensity of the sound.
- Color does not seem to affect the sound.
- Increasing the contrast of the pattern w.r.t. the background increases the sound.
- Edit: Horizontally tiled patterns make little contribution, but vertically tiled patterns cause the majority of the noise.
What could be causing this? I also noticed the same issue with another LCD monitor but it's a lot less perceptible.