Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have two PC's with Windows 7 that connect to internet via WiFi. But when i want to transfer large amount of data between them, i connect both with a network cable.

When i do this, Windows assigns a crazy IP to each, and i can reach PC1 by typing PC2's ip on explorer, for instance: \\

To find PC1's ip I open a cmd and type ipconfig /all, and locate the ip for the ethernet adapter. Then i have to mind this number and go to PC2 and type it.

This works very well but it's quite bothersome. I could assign a fixed ip to PC2, but then i would have to change this every time i have to connect it to a cabled network. I don't know if naming the computer would work, but i'm afraid the wireless connection would be used instead of the cabled.

So, is there an easier way of doing it?

share|improve this question
So long as you disable the wifi adapter when the cable is in use the name resolution should be fine - provided you have network discovery settings set - and you're assured of using the LAN instead of WiFi. – Beeblebrox Aug 22 '12 at 3:55

Assign a static IP address to the network cards ( and Then put them in the same subnet (subnetmask That should about do it.

NOTE: This assumes you aren't using a network for your WiFi connections.

For more info (and pretty pictures) go here.

Just so you know, those crazy IP addresses are referred to as self assigned.

share|improve this answer
the problem with this is that sometimes i go to a place where there's only cabled internet available. so i would have to set the adapter to dhcp again, and then back when i want to crossover. – bortao Aug 22 '12 at 22:51
If you want to be DHCP compatible with this other destination, you need to buy a router that has DHCP capability and put it between the two computers, then hook both computers to it. – Everett Aug 22 '12 at 23:16
I assume that this answers the question? – Everett Aug 24 '12 at 5:52
no, it's even ON the question itself "I could assign a fixed ip to PC2, but then i would have to change this every time i have to connect it to a cabled network." – bortao Aug 27 '12 at 0:07
Then there is no answer for you. – Everett Aug 27 '12 at 3:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.