Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As an avid designer and developer I work with software on my laptop while at school. Because I'm on my school's network, I have no access to things like:

  • the web server I run on my personal computer from elsewhere,
  • remote desktop connection (RDC), and
  • anything that requires a port.

I looked around on the Internet but I couldn't find a very cohesive and complete answer to this. I've heard that it's possible to run a VPN or tunnel out. If it helps, I have access to a router at home that I can configure for possible VPNing.

What should I do? Ideally I'd like to be able to point certain ports on my home router to my laptop at school, so I can access my home IP at port 80, for example, and receive the web server running on my laptop.

share|improve this question
What kind of router do you have? You most likely won't be able to setup a VPN server on the original firmware of your router. You'll most likely need your router's firmware to something like DD-WRT to do that. – superuser Aug 22 '12 at 4:47
No you're right. Is that going to be necessary/ the only way? – Brandon Wang Aug 22 '12 at 5:50
Doing something like this might be against your school's policy – Keltari Jan 24 '13 at 6:13

Take a look at hamachi:

I have a similar issue to you, and I am lucky because I can run the hamachi client on the computer behind NAT 24/7. If you can't run the server on the target computer, you will need to find another computer that is also behind the same NAT which can run the hamachi client.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.