Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm currently using a 500Mbps powerline adaptor and I believe it has been constantly overheating from time to time. It stops working once every few hours and it gets extremely warm.

However it resumes functionality after unplugging it and plugging it.

What should I do to resolve this issue? Should I just get a new one? And if I do should I get a 200Mbps instead ?

Thanks

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

Try drilling some holes in the plastic housing to allow some air to flow. It might save you a few bucks on buying a new one.

share|improve this answer

Different manufacturers use different components....

...I have seen quite a few "mini" powerline adapters that overheat... All I can really suggest is try a big chunky one or a different manufacturer and hopefully it will stop your problems.

share|improve this answer

If the adapters stop working because of overheating, then surely this is a case of guarantee/warranty. Bring it back to the seller and buy another, better product. Be assured, this is not generally a problem of 500 Mbps adapters.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.