Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Acer laptop which has Win XP installed. It's hard disk has gone bad. The laptop did not come with a recovery disk but instead had a Windows recovery partition on its hard disk. If I buy a new hard disk while the rest of the components remain the same how can I recover and use the licensed Windows which came with the laptop ?

share|improve this question
You may need to contact Acer for the Software Recovery Discs – kobaltz Aug 26 '12 at 13:50
The product key installed by ACER will do you no good, it is a Volume License Key which will not activate if used. Use the product key from the sticker or order Recovery discs from Acer as suggested by kobaltz and Jake223. – Moab Aug 26 '12 at 14:54

There should be a license code on the bottom of your laptop, on a sticker. You should be able to call Microsoft or Acer and tell them about your problem. With that license code, and a copy of Windows xp, you should be able to reinstall on another drive.

This discussion may also help you.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.