I have a Dell 1764 laptop (Windows 7 64 bit), and I'm having an issue with the sound. It's been happening for a while, possibly since I re-installed windows a while back.
The sound sometimes will have a crackling, laggy, distorted sound. However, it plays fine sometimes. It will constantly play the windows logon sound distorted and laggy when I logon to the computer.
I assume this is a driver issue so I downloaded DPC Latency Checker, and sure enough, there some bad signs. I started disabling devices in device manager and it got better when I disabled the following items:
- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 3B30
- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 3B42
- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 3B44
- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 3B4C
After disabling those devices, the DPC Latency Checker leveled out and the sound at windows logon sounded normal every time. I looked for an update for these devices but was unsuccessful in finding a driver.
Here's the version info on those devices:
- Driver Provider: Microsoft
- Driver Date: 6/21/2006
- Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Anyone out there know a fix to this or where I can find updated drivers? If you need more info, please let me know and I will get it for you.