Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a good headset with a mic which has a plug like that which is on the standard iPhone ear buds. In other words, one plug for both mic and audio.

I'd like to use this headset with my computer. Is there anything like a USB adapter or a 'iPhone plug to mic plug and audio plug'-splitter or something?

I've tried searching, but not really sure what this is even called.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think you are looking for an adapter similar to this (3.5mm female to male usb): .

share|improve this answer
That does look promising actually. Not sure what the neck strap is for though... :p – Svish Aug 27 '12 at 17:08
Now, how to get a hold of one of these in Norway... sigh – Svish Aug 27 '12 at 17:11
@svish I do not know how difficult that would be; but as posted above, it is just a '3.5mm female to usb male' adapter, so you could search for that. – user142485 Aug 27 '12 at 17:16

The Apple-jack :) is actually a TRRS (Tip-ring-ring-sleeve) 1/8th inch plug.

TRRS Connector

There are numerous adapters that will split out the two functions, here for example.

Apple has been known, however, to wire up their 1/8th inch jacks non-standard, making 3rd party adapters not work correctly. Not sure if your headset in particular falls into this category, but just be aware.

From the Wikipedia article on TRS:

Several mobile phones, particularly smartphones, feature 3.5 mm TRRS connectors to facilitate attaching headphones/hands-free kits. 2 different forms are frequently found, both of which place left audio on the tip and right audio on the first ring (mirroring the configuration found on stereo connectors). Where they differ is in the placement of the microphone and return contacts. The first, which places the return signal on the second ring and the microphone on the sleeve, is used by Apple's iPhone line, Samsung's Galaxy Nexus and Nokia phones, among others. The second, which reverses these contacts, is used by other Samsung smartphones and some Sony/Sony Ericsson phones.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.