(2009 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard — OS X 10.6.8)
I believe this is related to installing MacPorts today — although the other thing I did before I noticed any symptoms was install a trial of Adobe Illustrator CS6.
Initial signs were opening an extra tab in Terminal (I already had a couple open & working) — rather than give me a prompt, it just says
[Process exited - exit code 1].
Things I've tried:
- Trashing Terminal prefs in
- Changing 'Shell opens with' in Terminal prefs to (variously)
- Using Shell > New Command in Terminal to run these, and experimenting with the
- Uninstalling MacPorts by following their instructions
- Restoring the backup of my
.bash_profilecreated by MacPorts, sanity checking the contents of
- Logging off and back on again
- Restarting the Mac
- Logging in as another existing user and trying to start Terminal - same symptoms
- Attempting to run essentially anything under
lsetc - the output is usually
[Process exited - exit code 1]
- Running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility
- Using safe boot mode (hold down shift at startup)
There doesn't seem to be anything especially relevant in Console Log. Note: I have Homebrew installed.
This page describes a script that'll (if it's not too old) tell me what files have been changed in Time Machine - except running that — whichever folder it's in — produces the same message.
Answer (see below): Caused by file in /usr/lib/ I'd previously replaced. Fixed once restored from backup.