Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have experienced some problems with my headphones and it turned out the front 3.5mm audio jack is defective..and it doesn't make a good contact. I can't replace the jack because it's built-in.

I am wondering if there are such things as "modular" Front panels to be inserted into the available external 3.5" bay and, of course, to support (natively, internal connector) Realtek HD Audio.

(my case is Asus TA-K5, but I guess it doesn't make any difference)

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Well, the short answer is yes, though this turns into a shopping question if you go any further. However, since I already have the links up:

3.5" bay front panel audio is what I plugged into Google, and the results show a whole host of products, most within the $20-$30 range, which is about what I would expect to pay for something like this. This and this both explicitly state that they support the HD audio connector.

share|improve this answer
Right. Usually the front panel connectors are fed from cables that plug into the motherboard. If you're lucky, you can find a stock item that will plug in in place of your balky connector. If a little less lucky you may have to splice some wires. – Daniel R Hicks Aug 31 '12 at 0:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.