For 2 and a half year, I've downloaded, on average, 2-3 GB of data per day from this FTP server (astronomy data from an observatory - nothing illegal). Since Saturday I've been experiencing a weird behaviour. I use FileZilla (but see the same in all other FTP clients I've tried: command line ftp, windows ftp, WS_FTP, total commander), after downloading 3-4 files (1-2 MB each) at a regular speed (1-2MB/s) the download speed drops to 10-20 KB/s. From time to time it'll download a file at 1-2MB/s again but mostly stays at 10-20KB/s
I was wondering would the cause of such behaviour could be and how I'd go about finding out what/where the issue it.
- The FTP server is in the US (I'm in Slovakia / EU on fibre optics)
- Several other users in the US and EU reported slow speeds on Saturday but all now say the speed is normal
- Some users never saw the issue
- Download from other FTP servers (in the US) is normal
Things I've tried:
- Reinstall the client - tried passive/active connection
- Different clients (cmd ftp, windows ftp, WS_FTP, total commander)
- Reset my router to default (and disconnect the wifi router and connected the computer directly to the ISP router)
- Disabled the firewall (windows)
- Defrag my HDD
- Used a laptop (diff computer) on my home network
Are there any tools that could help to find out whether the issue is with my computer, home network, the ISP or the FTP server? Any proxies I could use to try to download from a "different" ip/country etc?