So im getting the error "Error loading operating system" when the computer tries to boot to a fresh install of WinXP Pro.
To get to this point, I:
- Shrunk the only partition with Gparted to 33GB
- Copied the partition to the end of the 200GB drive
- Enlarged the first one to fill the space
- Formatted the first partition to NTFS
- Set the first partition to boot, tagged the latter to hidden, removed boot flag
This was done all under Hiren's BootCD. Now this is where it goes down the drain.
I installed XP Pro SP1a from its CD, and chose to quick format the partition. Now after the OS was installed, I can't start XP without using the default menu action from Hiren's BootCD. All I am greeted with is the "error loading operating system" message.
I tried to use the XP recovery to fixboot, fixmbr and bootcfg /rebuild (dont remember if the command was like this, anyway the 3 suggested commands). This did nothing.
What am I missing here?